West Kennet Long Barrow, Avebury in WIltshire is one of the largest and most impressive Neolithic chambered tombs in Britain. Left: Entrance to West Kennet long barrow Above: Entrance to West Kennet long barrow Built in around 3650 BC, it was used for a short time as a burial chamber, nearly 50 people being buried here before the chambers were blocked. Part of the Avebury World Heritage Site. Above: One of the entrance stones to West Kennet long barrow Above: Inner chamber of West Kennet long barrow
Belas Knap is a particularly fine example of a restored Cotswold Neolithic long barrow – complete with a false entrance and side chambers. Left: Belas Knap closed side-chamber Above: Belas Knap closed side-chamber Belas Knapp is a particularly fine example of a restored Cotswold Neolithic long barrow – complete with a false entrance and side chambers. It was excavated in 1863 and 1865 with the remains of 31 people being found inside the two chambers. Above: Looking out from open side-chamber Above:Taken from outside Belas Knapp Long Barrow looking into the open/restored side chamber. Note the number of orbs and strange lights swirlinhg around the entrance. These were not seen at the time… Read More
Avebury, Wiltshire, England is also one of the World’s most important ancient sites containing the largest stone circle in Europe. Left: Avebury avenue looking towards Avebury stone circle Above: Avebury avenue looking towards Avebury stone circle Above: Avebury stone circle embankment Above: Standing stones at Avebury stone circle Above: Part of Avebury stone circle
Temple is a small village in the parish of Blisland on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, England, UK. It is best known for its 12th century church once owned by the Knights Templar.
Merrivale is located in Western Dartmoor, Devon, England. It is best known for its collection of Bronze Age megalithic monuments.
Brent Tor is a hill on the western edge of Dartmoor, approximately four miles (6.5 km) north of Tavistock. It stands 1100 ft (330m) above sea level and is surmounted by the Church of St Michael. Brent Church window The Church of St Michel de Rupe (“Saint Michael of the Rock”) atop the Tor dates to the 13th century, and measures 15 feet (4.6 m) wide and 37 feet (11 m) long. The tower is 40 feet (12 m) high and houses five bells. At one point, the Church may have been used as a Beacon tower, used to spread word of enemies seen out to sea. Around the Tor are Iron… Read More
The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic, formerly known as the Museum of Witchcraft, is a museum dedicated to European witchcraft and magic located in the village of Boscastle in Cornwall, south-west England. It houses exhibits devoted to folk magic, ceremonial magic, Freemasonry, and Wicca, with its collection of such objects having been described as the largest in the world.
The complex consists of three main elements, The Kings Men stone circle, the King Stone, and the Whispering Knights. King’s Stone Its purpose and age are unclear, although it is believed to be of middle Bronze Age origin. Some sources suggest that it might be an outlier to the Stone Circle. The strange shape (likened to a seal balancing a ball on its nose) of this standing stone has less to do with the weathering effects of nature than with the destructive habit of 19th century drovers who chipped off small pieces to act as lucky charms and keep the Devil at bay. Thankfully this superstitious vandalism no longer goes… Read More