Brent Tor is an outcrop of rock located on the western edge of Dartmoor, approximately four miles (6.5 km) north of the market town of Tavistock. It stands 1100 ft (330m) above sea level and is surmounted by the Church of St Michael.
Brent Church window
The Church of St Michel de Rupe ("Saint Michael of the Rock") atop the Tor dates to the 13th century, and measures 15 feet (4.6 m) wide and 37 feet (11 m) long. The tower is 40 feet (12 m) high and houses five bells.
At one point, the Church may have been used as a Beacon tower, used to spread word of enemies seen out to sea.
Around the Tor are Iron Age earthworks and the remnants of a Hill fort.